Sunday, March 9, 2008

Schönes Wochenende

As of today, I am only five hours ahead of EST, instead of six! How exciting! ^_^ Austria will go on Daylight Savings in a few weeks.

Stayed in Wien this weekend, but it was packed and excellent. I'm regretting that there's so few weekends left that I will probably still be in Vienna; there's still so much to see here! May have to rethink some of this.

The weather was beautiful on Friday, so shortly after classes we caught the U-bahn and a bus to a corner of the city near the Wiener Wald (the Vienna Woods, the "green lungs" that surround the city). We were looking for an obscure church, which served as a good excuse to be outdoors and explore a new area. We found this cubical church, and it was very cool... and then explored the trails behind it. We found an enormous sundial/astronomical clock and resolved to return at sunset some time when the sky was clearer. We hiked through the woods for a while and subsequently got lost, of course. I'm exciting to return in a few weeks though, when everything will be in bloom.

This weekend was a weekend of fleemarkets. I practiced my haggling at the bustling Naschmarkt flohmarkt (the indecisive walk-away technique works wonders!), and afterwards went to an antiques / book sale / easter market that I had seen advertised on a banner. I explored some of the grounds of Schönbrunn (can't wait till they're in bloom too), had AMAZING gelato, and enjoyed the Albertina for free (for Sunday only, this art museum opened its doors to everyone for no cost, to celebrate the anniversary of their renovations). I saw works by Monet, Picasso, Rothko, and more. Two of the most striking were Monet's "Vue de Vetheuil" and Chagall's "Sleeping Woman and Flowers". [Apparently these works are a little more obscure, because I'm having trouble finding links online (the lack of the Monet is especially surprising!).] Today I learned to bake Apfelstrudel and schnitzel. Not hard at all and most of the ingredients are internationally available, so hopefully I'll be able to replicate this in the US. I also now am in the proud possession of an entire strudel that I made. This could be dangerous. ^_^

Classes tomorrow, and I leave for spring break in less than a week. Italia, here I come!


P.S. Mineral water ("mit" carbonation) is growing on me. I can handle it if I swallow it in gulps and ignore the salty aftertaste. I still need to wash down the carbonated water with still tap water though. ^_^

4 comments:

Steve said...

Can you make some strudel for mom's birthday/to celebrate our arrival? I guess you get into the city after we do...

Koennen wir in den Wiener Wald wandern?

Anonymous said...

yay german! :)

but seriously...i FINALLY had time to catch up on your blog, Liz, and it sounds like you're having an AMAZING time!

miss you!

Lanna said...

Ja, natürlich! Wir mussen in den Wiener Wald spazieren gehen... und nachher werden wir in einem Heuriger essen! Vielleicht am Mittwoch... :)

And I would love to make more strudel! ... if I had more time before you arrive (I don't get back to Wien until you've been here for 3 days!), and if I had a freer week. As it is, most likely we'll have to wait till the summer to bake it at home; you'll just have to sample more of it in the cafes to develop an expert opinion. ^_^

Unknown said...

It's weird to half understand German. Silly Strasbourg.

Also, daylight savings time is my friend, and you should go on Skype more!

This was sort of pointless, but oh well.

Disclaimer

The views expressed on these pages are solely belonging to the author and do not reflect the views of the Fulbright Program, the U.S. Department of State or its partner organizations.