Now, it looks like it is finally happening. Though as the NYT announced, this will not be your standard revival. They are not merely adding a new song or scene, but using the story's cross-cultural message to create a new experiment for Broadway--a bilingual musical.
I mentioned this to a few people and received mixed reviews. Who wants to see a musical that they can't understand half of it? Sure, there will be translation screens, but how strange that would be! What about singing along to "America"?
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm in the opposite camp--I love the idea! Granted, I'm a huge linguaphile and I'm comfortable hearing another language and not understanding, but what better musical than West Side? Everyone is familiar with the basic story (what? two feuding families/gangs, two lovers, and a balcony?) and many people know the music. In the past, too many productions have been accused of casting "fake" Puerto Rican Sharks with very poor imitation accents; this production is seeking authentic, native speakers of each language and culture. Isn't that the story anyway--two separate cultures that struggle to mesh, but finally come together? Previously the audience has only been looking through the window in on this world; now we will be able to experience it.
And what better time then now, when Spanish is rapidly becoming the unofficial second language of the US? NYC subway cars are often divided with at least half the signs written in or including español. Many schools are beginning instruction in Spanish at a younger age. Has there really not been a Spanish musical on Broadway yet, or at least a musical incorporating a lot of Spanish?
Regardless, West Side will always hold a special place in my heart, and this new interpretation takes it even further. I can't wait!

No comments:
Post a Comment