American college tuition is expensive enough. Every student is overwhelmed with applications for loans, scholarships, grants, and financial aid, trying to make it a little less painful. Some of the richest universities have finally started to do their part to ameliorate this crisis, but many schools do not have the excessive endowment of Harvard or the Ivies to offer students such breaks.
And beyond the cost of tuition, housing, and meals, what else?
What about textbooks? After a semester of being abroad and not having textbooks, I had almost forgotten how expensive they can be.
I always do my textbook shopping on Amazon marketplace. It's important to shop around (be aware of your university bookstore's prices, check for discount reseller stores in your area, and check other websites), but Marketplace has consistently proven to be the most reliable and affordable option for me. You must often compromise dust jackets, clean pages, or wear and tear for a lower price, but I don't mind as long as I can still read it.
However, despite all that savvy shopping and saving, the costs can still be ridiculous. This year especially.
I just spent over $200. On ONE class. To top it off, I just did the math with the university bookstore's prices for new books. Had I bought all my books (five classes) from the school bookstore, it would have cost me $955. NINE HUNDRED AND FIFTY FIVE DOLLARS!!!!! For books.
This is obscene and absolutely ridiculous. We're only poor college students. We're just trying to learn. We don't have this kind of money!
Marketplace and other discounted resellers have saved me a pretty penny many times in the past. They're helping me out again this year, but sometimes it's just too much.
50 Page Friday: The Abyss Beyond Dreams
10 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment