Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Restaurant prices

Prior to my arrival in Poland, I was told that it was often more less expensive to go out to eat at a restaurant than it was to buy your own food and cook. I found this hard to believe, but now I'm beginning to see that this is very true.

The other day, I enjoyed a delicious meal on the Rynek, with a beautiful patio view of the marketplace--prime real estate for a restaurant. My meal of a large hearty crepe, a specialty drink, and a large water came to less than $10 USD. This same meal in the States or elsewhere in Europe could have easily cost $25-30 USD. Furthermore, during my grand venture to Ikea yesterday, I paused to have lunch (and enjoy free wifi). In the Polish way, I ordered a dinner-style lunch, complete with soup, a large hot entree, and tea. Granted, Ikea is famously inexpensive, but this rather tasty meal was only 11PLN or about $3.50! When I did the math, I could hardly believe it.

Granted, I've only just begun to cook for myself, so I don't yet have a clear sense of the costs in the supermarket. But I guess I'll have to use this as an excuse to try out all the cafes and restaurants in the area.

No comments:

Disclaimer

The views expressed on these pages are solely belonging to the author and do not reflect the views of the Fulbright Program, the U.S. Department of State or its partner organizations.