Tuesday, October 5, 2010

First Day of School

Yesterday was officially my first day of school in Poland, though it feels like that first day stretched from 7am Monday until about 3pm this afternoon. Six classes, an orientation, an exam, a welcome party, and several meetings later, I am ready to hibernate until the spring. And this is only Day 2?!

Did I mention that yesterday I left at 7:45am and didn't get back until 11:45pm? But I'm not complaining. This year's Erasmus program was officially inaugurated yesterday, and between meeting my students and meeting international students from France, Sweden, Romania, Turkey, Finland, and so many other countries, it was worth it.

Technically, the academic year for Polish universities, like many of the universities across Europe, starts October 1. Because October 1 fell on a Friday this year, inauguration festivities were held on this day, as the Rector and other Deans in traditional academic garb officially opened the school year, but classes did not begin until after the weekend.

As an English TA, the six classes that I have attended so far are all English courses for second and third year students. (Previously all Polish university students would study for 5 years and graduate with a Master's, with no intermediary step for a Bachelor's. Now, due to the Bologna Accords, students receive a Bachelor's degree at the end of 3 years and can either choose to graduate or to continue their studies for 2 more years for the Master's). Tomorrow and Thursday I'll meet the last of my classes. Hopefully by next week, I'll also be able to organize my schedule so that I can attend classes myself as a student, namely in the fields of politics, history, and Polish language.

No comments:

Disclaimer

The views expressed on these pages are solely belonging to the author and do not reflect the views of the Fulbright Program, the U.S. Department of State or its partner organizations.