Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Treasury and Armory

What a combination for one day, seeming to span the entire Habsburg rule (or at least the beginning and end)-- from the Crown of Charlemagne (10th century!) and coronation robes of Holy Roman Emperors and kings throughout the ages, to grand extravagant ornaments and jewelry, including an emerald larger than a human fist and long narwhal tusks... to an entire room devoted to the assassination of Franz Ferdinand--the car in which he was riding, the couch on which he died, and the uniform which he was wearing (complete with bullet holes and faded blood stains still visible). Very eerie.

In addition, I baked a yummy apple cake for my roomie's birthday! And I proved that gluten-free cake can be delicious, and that icing can be made without vanilla extract (which, in addition to pre-made icing, apparently isn't available in Austria).

I'm exhausted, and there's still so much German waiting.

No comments:

Disclaimer

The views expressed on these pages are solely belonging to the author and do not reflect the views of the Fulbright Program, the U.S. Department of State or its partner organizations.