Input or ideas appreciated!!! Thursday will be my last day at my teaching internship. As a final lesson, my teachers have asked me to teach the classes about American foods and bring in some examples. However, I'm having some trouble coming up with things that I can bring in. I have two classes of 13-year-olds, about 30 students each.
I will definitely be bringing:
-chocolate chip cookies
-banana bread
-peanut butter & jelly sandwiches (sliced into bite-sized pieces ^_^)
I planned to cook an American breakfast (pancakes, french toast, eggs, maybe bacon and hash browns, etc), but it will be hard for me to transport any hot items and make enough for so many students. Any other ideas???
EDIT: Thanks for all the suggestions and help. The kids absolutely loved the food, and they were really enthusiastic about learning the recipes. Definitely a success and a great last class!
50 Page Friday: The Abyss Beyond Dreams
10 years ago

4 comments:
HOw about brownies - one of your favorites!?! Or you could use granola, even if it is close to museli.
Most of what I come up with are hot foods (mac & cheese etc). You could try apple crisp - it can good even if it is cold. If you have access to a microwave, you could try another pot pie and heat it up.
I like you choices so far - choc chip cookies and pb&j are definitely American and quite popular.
Good luck!
See, I had this problem too...we ended up going with PB&J, and the thing was...the French people just didn't get it . I would say Mac and Cheese too...(Hi Mrs Gabster!)because it is delicious and the first thing I made myself when I got back because it just doesn't happen in Europe. I like the breakfast idea...pancakes might work cold but nothing else sadly. Apple crisp working in the idea that there's nothing as American as apple pie. This is more a commentary than any new suggestions, sorry.
I was saving a box of Kraft Mac & cheese (the parents brought it from home, yay!), but because of the day it will be stone cold by the time I could get it to the class. Apple and pumpkin pies were my first thoughts, but I'm too lazy/don't have enough time to make the full pies. I might try granola if I have time to get the ingredients, and if not, it's true that pancakes are still delicious cold.
Danke schön!
Twinkies and moonpies, hands down. With some fried snickers bars.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_dishes
Additionally, things that might be good cold:
-Banana split
-Pecan pie
-Root beer float
-SPAM
-Hoagies of some variety
-Toasted rav
Something cajun, creole, or TexMex would be amazing, but other than salsa, you'd pretty much need it to be hot.
Post a Comment