Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Austrian Politics

The Freedom Party, one of the youngest political parties in Austria which built its platform on anti-immigration, has been making strides as of late.

Far-Right, Anti-Immigrant Parties Make Gains in Austrian Elections

Not sure how I feel about this one. My Modern Austria class taught how this party was formed only in recent decades and taps into the public's desire for change from the SPÖ (Social Democrats) and ÖVP (People's party/former Christian Socialists)--immigration and the desire to preserve their Austrian-ness was one of the touchy topics that FPÖ tapped into. I admit, I find it hard to consider objectively, as my background in American cities has given me a subconscious expectation for ethnic diversity. However, the word is that the FPÖ is less anti-foreigners than it once was, so we shall see.

Disclaimer

The views expressed on these pages are solely belonging to the author and do not reflect the views of the Fulbright Program, the U.S. Department of State or its partner organizations.