Saturday, October 11, 2008

Two Things

Austrian political front: Freedom party leader Joerg Haider, governor of Carinthia, was killed suddenly in a car accident today. See the full report from BBC. Terrible and very sudden, especially considering his party's success in the recent elections.

And just some numbers for reference on the economy: Consider these numbers from when I was abroad and dealing with the rising exchange rates, and now the current rates-- $1.36 for 1€ or $1.86 for 1 GBP.

Just some specifics in case you were wondering.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Thank you for this newsbite. This is huge, and well, it's terrible to say, but hopefully a good thing for Austria. Maybe not, as I suppose the vacuum he leaves could be filled by something worse... but yeah it probably would have been at least a week before I heard about this if I hadn't read your post.

Disclaimer

The views expressed on these pages are solely belonging to the author and do not reflect the views of the Fulbright Program, the U.S. Department of State or its partner organizations.