Saturday, June 27, 2009

Eastern Market festivities!

Eastern Market is reopening their North Hall today (in renovation since the 2007 fire), and festivities continue through tomorrow. If you're in DC, check the schedule and come check it out!

5 comments:

Merisi said...

Good morning!
That is such wonderful news, just before coming here did I read about the opening in the Washington Post!

I loved Eastern Market, especially on Saturday mornings.

Do you know that little Salvadorian restaurant, with only a few outdoor tables, right where there is also a woman selling bread on the sidewalk? I love their quesadillas, fresh spinach my favorite, and their fried bananas!

I have so many memories of that area! I wished I could magically appear over there. I would love once again to take a coffee break at the Firehook bakery on Penn Ave, on a break from doing research at the Main Reading Room at the Library of Congress. Those were the days! :-) Oh, towards sunset walking from the libray past the Capitol, seeing the setting sun illuminating the large glasshouse and then beyond the Indian Museum. *dream*

Merisi said...

I realized only now that you are new to DC, reading your back posts! Welcome! :-)

Lanna said...

Thank you! I am definitely settling in nicely here, and the Eastern Market is one of my favorite parts. Haven't yet explored many of the restaurants nearby (too busy trying out every type of crepe offered by the Crepe Cart ^_^) but I will have to try them! Such a beautiful area, and so much creativity and delicious food all around. And an easy and scenic walk to the Capitol and the sights.

Merisi said...

Lanna,
I remembered the name of that little Salvadorian place at Capitol Hill:
TORTILLA CAFE
215 Pennsylvania Ave SE
(O for a plate of their fried plantains now!)
It is on the same block as the Eastern Market, just on the opposite side of the street

If you have any quesetions about DC, it's been my hometown for more than two decades, just ask! :-)

The Firehook Bakery I mentioned is on 215 Pennsylvania Ave SE - they have great sandwiches and cosy wingchairs in the back!

On that block of Penn Ave are (hopefully still!) a very nice bookstore and a paper store, both of the oldfashioned kind.

Get a reader's ID at the Library of Congress, enables you to go study in quiet in their fantastic reading rooms!

Kristi said...

I used the purse I got when we went together on Saturday... awesomely cute, although my wallet barely fits. I'll have to find something smaller to keep my $$ in when I use it!

Disclaimer

The views expressed on these pages are solely belonging to the author and do not reflect the views of the Fulbright Program, the U.S. Department of State or its partner organizations.