I have just returned from my first experience with the Viennese Opera House. :)
The Opera offers an deals that make shows very accessible to students-- only 2 to 3.50€ (roughly $2.60-$5) for standing room tickets to see some of the best opera and ballet in the world. The opera house has a space on each level (from orchestra and up) in the center back reserved solely for theatre-goers who purchase these cheap tickets. They must be bought the day of, so for really good shows (such as Don Giovanni that opened Monday night with a world-famous cast) the lines for standing room tickets start hours and hours before the doors open.
I walk by the Opera daily and sometimes observe such lines. Tonight, a bunch of students from my program decided to take advantage of the deal to see the last performance of the Nutcracker. I don't think I've seen that ballet since 8th grade, but it was phenomenal. Add to that the fact that despite leaning on a railing for about 3 hours, we had one of the best views in the house (center orchestra!).
I'm going to have to take advantage of this deal often. Unfortunately, it means getting home sehr spät, and I have a lot of German homework waiting for me.
Sorry that I haven't been in touch at all! This week is very scheduled and crammed with German class, orientation activities, and trying to find time to get groceries and make food. By the weekend I'm hoping things will slow down more, and I'll be returning to AIM as soon as I can. Also, will finish the story of Mariazell. Till then, tschüss!
50 Page Friday: The Abyss Beyond Dreams
10 years ago

4 comments:
that is AMAZING!!! vienna's music/arts scene is supposed to be spectacular...and to be able to experience it that cheap?!!? WOW.
it sounds like you're having an amazing time thusfar...and a busy one! i dunno where you're finding the time to sleep!
look forward to hearing from you when you get time to breathe. have fun!!! :)
Hi Liz!
I am reading your blog and looking forward to hearing about your adventures in Vienna! I only spent a few days there while I was abroad and absolutely LOVED it! It's a wonderful place! Enjoy!
Oh, and so so glad you got to experience THE Vienna Opera - it's like none other. :)
Take Care,
Wendy
Ah, the Staatoper; sehr gut! Always wanted to see it. Admittedly, I wanted to see it even more after reading The Hotel New Hampshire, part of which takes place on a nearby side street. Krugerstrasse. Random tidbit, LOL.
Krugerstrasse?! That's literally only two blocks from where I have classes! Can't say I've seen a Hotel New Hampshire, but the Astoria is right there, as well as the smaller entrance for the famous Sacher. :)
Post a Comment