Thursday, January 31, 2008

Settling in

I just came to the realization that as of today, I have now been outside of the US for the longest time in my life.  That's a scary thought, and if I hadn't counted the days, I wouldn't have believed it.  In high school, I was abroad for three weeks with a student travel program, yet those three weeks felt more like three months because they were so packed with activities.  

Instead, the three weeks in Vienna have seemed commonplace almost.  Lots of exciting things have happened, and my time here has definitely been busy, but I have also been able to settle in and make this place a home.  I'm comfortable here, and I feel as if I know my way around fairly well.  Point me to a U-bahn anywhere in the city, and I can find my way home.  Let me see the rooftops of the Oper or the Secession building and I'll find my way from there. Yesterday, just for kicks, I walked home a different way and found a great collection of Asian shops, including a Japanese tea room that I will have to check out in the near future.  Additionally, many of the grocery stores have American brands (Campbells, Heinz, Mars...) so those familiar tastes will be there if I ever do feel homesick.  Unlike England, Austria also has normal salad dressings, and I've found one that tastes like a Caesar-- es schmeckt mir gut!  And the whole hubbaloo about not being able to get peanut butter in Europe?  A myth!  I've found multiple brands of creamy and chunky, plus a lot of Nutella of course.  

It doesn't feel like I've been here for three weeks... it feels like I've only just arrived, and yet that I've been here forever.  :)


In other news, I had Turkish coffee for the first time today.  Came on a lovely golden platter, with the cezve and even my own Turkish delight!  Very delicious, but I was concerned that I was drinking it improperly or something, as the Ober kept staring at me.  ^_^

Intensive German finals start tomorrow with orals, and then written on Friday.  Eek!

4 comments:

Steve said...

How did you drink it? How did you like it? It was served with Turkish Delight?!?! That's kinda weird.

Lanna said...

I simply poured the coffee from the cezve into the cup, and sipped it from there. I thought that maybe I was supposed to let him pour it or something, but he didn't make any move to do so when he brought it. ^_^ Dunno.

Unknown said...

peanut butter EXISTS in europe, it's just uber expensive. case in point: the receipt for peanut butter that is in my ipod case because i was supposed to get it reimbursed (long story). 4 things of peanut butter: 17 euro. painful.

Lanna said...

17 euro for only four?!?!!! It definitely hasn't been that bad; we've been able to find it for pretty reasonable prices, around 2€ I think.

Disclaimer

The views expressed on these pages are solely belonging to the author and do not reflect the views of the Fulbright Program, the U.S. Department of State or its partner organizations.