Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Austrian breakfast

As a short break and a writing warm-up before diving in to a paper-writing marathon this afternoon, I bring you a brief cultural update. Today's topic: the typical Austrian breakfast.

Frühstück is of course a very important meal in Austria. (Lunch or the mid-day meal is traditionally the "big" meal of the day, but breakfast is important to start the day off right). While on my own in the apartment, I usually compromise the traditional breakfast and instead grab a quick croissant (often with apricot or chocolate filling!) or enjoy a bowl of Müsli. Almost all of the American-style cereals that are available in stores are very sugary or full of chocolate, so I prefer to avoid those. Müsli is similar to granola, but more loose and usually unbaked. (Heidi at 101 Cookbooks provides a Muesli recipe that sounds delicious as usual).

More traditional breakfast foods include: cold cuts (ham, salami, etc), slices of cheese, various types of bread, butter and jam, soft boiled eggs (always in an egg cup), coffee or tea, juice, etc. If cold cuts are not available, certain types of wurst or sausage might be offered. Yogurt and fruit are also often provided. Besides müsli, cereal is uncommon. American breakfast foods such as French toast and pancakes are basically unheard of (Austrian pancakes, or palatschinken, are essentially crepes). However, let me stress again, bread is very important. Bread and rolls are the crucial element to the Austrian breakfast.

For example, this weekend in Styria I was given a traditional breakfast. As a guest, an array of the following was laid out for me each morning:

  • Tea: a huge pot greeted me each morning, and I filled three cups to finish it
  • Juice: often orange multivitamin
  • Soft boiled eggs: I learned to crack and peel off the shells in order to scoop out the inside; thus, the egg cup is essential
  • Bread: this is the bulk of an Austrian breakfast. The vast selection commonly includes the round Semmel roll, the Kipferl (shaped like a croissant), and a square-shaped multigrain roll (name unknown). Slices of bread are also often multigrain or a darker grain... none of this white bread that Americans are used to! Each morning, I ate at least four slices/rolls/pieces, which I spread with...
  • Jams and Spreads: Butter and three types of homemade jams were offered--an apple-and-something, a berry-peach, and a blood orange-apricot. The flavors were incredible. My hostess offered Nutella and cream cheese, but I would choose the homemade delicacies over a manufactured brand any day.


Then again, apart from this extensive list, there's always another type of "traditional" breakfast: a visit to a Viennese coffee house.


An Austrian photographer pictures a typical breadbasket with some common breads I enjoyed as part of a traditional breakfast. The Semmel roll is pictured in the front.

Now that I have sufficiently made myself hungry, I must return to my paper. Bis Später!

1 comment:

claudia said...

the square shaped whole-grain things you are talking about are mostly called "Weckerl" all over austria!

Disclaimer

The views expressed on these pages are solely belonging to the author and do not reflect the views of the Fulbright Program, the U.S. Department of State or its partner organizations.