Monday, September 27, 2010

Blackcurrant Juice

Dear Blackcurrant juice, how have I missed you all of these years? How on earth do you not exist in the US?

Well, according to Wikipedia, because of an out-dated ban on growing blackcurrants thanks to the logging industry that states are only just beginning to repeal (NY state repealed it only in 2003). So I suppose it's not surprising that no one in the States realizes the liquid joy and health that they are missing out on.

What is this, you say, it's delicious AND healthy? According again to the all-knowing Wikipedia, blackcurrant juice if STUFFED with essential vitamins and nutrients. 100g of this water of life is packed with 6 vitamins, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, and more! Also, this baby includes not just 100% but 302% of the daily value of Vitamin C! Eat your heart out, OJ. It's very possible that blackcurrant juice was the key medicine in helping several members of our group stave off the Fulbright Flu during orientation, or so claimed AB. (Either that, or it was prior extended exposure to Poland, according to MP's hypothesis).

Also, it mixes very well with banana nectar, which is also widely available here. In an average food store, you can expect to find *at least* one whole wall devoted to simply juices--everything from the traditional apple, orange, and tomato juices to the exotic kiwi, apple mint, and multivitamin (ok, not exotic for Europe) juices. It's rather amazing.

In a nutshell, I'm not sure what I will do when I return to the States and no longer can enjoy this juice regularly. Perhaps I will make my millions by making blackcurrant juice popular in the US, as it well deserves.

1 comment:

vidya said...

i used to live on blackcurrent juice (from one of those concentrates) when i lived here before...
apparently that, tuna fish, and other canned goods (powdered milk, tomato paste, beans) were the staples that were in supply/demand at the Kenyan town that was the gateway to sudan for all aidworkers.

Disclaimer

The views expressed on these pages are solely belonging to the author and do not reflect the views of the Fulbright Program, the U.S. Department of State or its partner organizations.